Fijivillage
20 February, 2026, 7:54 pm
Central - 25°C Rain
20 February, 2026, 7:54 pm Central - 25°C Rain

Australian man Jason Kennison dies during Mount Everest climb

Australian man Jason Kennison dies during Mount Everest climb

By abc.net.au
22/05/2023
Jason Kennison (left) died while descending Mount Everest. (Just Giving)

A 40-year-old Australian man has died while descending Mount Everest.

Jason Kennison, a South Australian living in Perth, died during the descent on Friday morning.

His father Jock Kennison said he was notified of his son's death by local police early yesterday.

Jason Kennison had been in Nepal for the previous six weeks to prepare for the climb.

His body is yet to be recovered.

His sister Michelle Graham told the ABC that Mr Kennison had accomplished his goal of reaching the peak.

"We are so proud of his achievements and we take great solace in knowing he made it to the summit. The highest place on this earth," she said.

"Jason was one to live a full life.

"He would put his mind to something, set a goal and achieve it.

"His family are heartbroken and he will be forever missed."

Mr Kennison, who twice had to learn how to walk again, trained for the climb to raise funds for Spinal Cord Injuries Australia.

At the age of 23, Mr Kennison was in a vehicle accident which resulted in traumatic injuries to his femur and shoulder.

Mr Kennison said on his Just Giving page he became depressed following the accident.

"My recovery journey was slow, but after a year of battling depression, countless hours of rehab and self-driven motivation, I started to see improvements both mentally and physically," he wrote.

"I first began to regain function in my arms and legs, and slowly started to learn to walk again."

After his recovery, Mr Kennison returned to work, working at mine sites in both South Australia and Queensland, before working overseas as a coach and mentor in developing countries such as Kyrgyzstan.

Three years ago after suffering from progressive back pain, Mr Kennison had to undergo a routine spinal procedure.

The procedure did not go as planned, resulting in nerve damage, which required Mr Kennison to learn how to walk yet again.

"It was tough to accept that once again, I felt back at square one and another setback to overcome," he wrote.

"With the same mindset and resilience that I had adopted in the past, I again committed to rehab and physio, learning to walk again after an extended time off work."

Mr Kennison wrote on his Just Giving page that Mount Everest was "a long way from once battling traumatic injuries and the low and dark days of depression".

"An ambitious feat that I would never have dreamed of, or thought was possible after once being told that I would not be able to walk."

Mr Kennison is survived by his parents Jock and Gill and his five siblings.

Story By: Sara Garcia and Chris McLoughlin

Original Story link: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-22/sa-adelaide-man-dies-on-mount-everest/102375832?fbclid=IwAR22QILDq2qgNbW2zZR5e0uGYzMUfIeRjaRUMP3z7OqhcnoLSn8OrIzjo0k

FEATURE NEWS
PM says allegations against Acting FICAC Commissioner have to be investigated
Prime Minister, Sitiveni Rabuka says the allegations of nepotism against the Acting FICAC Commissioner, Lavi Rokoika have to be investigated, and the ...
3 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Rabuka to meet Sports Minister over Fiji Sports Council concerns
Prime Minister Sitiveni Rabuka confirms he will meet Sports Minister Jese Saukuru today in relation to the Fiji Sports Council issues. The issues ...
17 minutes ago

Electricity restored in Central and Western divisions after 132kV circuit fault
Electricity has been fully restored across the Central and Western Divisions following a fault on the 132kV Wailoa–Cunningham Circuit.Energy Fiji ...
3 hours ago

Police yet to respond if they will appeal Vakarisi's suspended sentence
Police are yet to confirm whether they will appeal Jone Vakarisi's three months sentence, suspended for two years.Vakarisi was earlier found guilty ...
3 hours ago

Severe Thunderstorm Warning in force for parts of Viti Levu
A Severe Thunderstorm Warning for Heavy Rain is now in force for the northeastern and interior parts of Viti Levu from Ba through Rakiraki to ...
4 hours ago

Vuibereta to take plea in High Court over alleged bail breaches
Lui Bale Vuibureta, also known as XKON, is set to take his plea in the Suva High Court on the 6th of next month.Vuibureta appeared before Justice ...
4 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
14 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
14 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
15 days ago

TOP