Fijivillage
20 February, 2026, 4:51 am
Central - 23°C Clouds
20 February, 2026, 4:51 am Central - 23°C Clouds

Armed gunmen loot more than 100 aid trucks in Gaza, according to the United Nations

Armed gunmen loot more than 100 aid trucks in Gaza, according to the United Nations

By abc.net.au
19/11/2024
UNRWA has not shared who carried out the looting but placed responsibility for the protection of aid convoys on the Israeli Government. (Reuters: Amir Cohen)

More than 100 aid trucks carrying desperately needed supplies in Gaza have been "violently looted", according to the United Nations' Palestinian aid agency.

The convoy of 109 trucks carrying food from UNRWA and the World Food Programme was travelling from the Kerem Shalom border crossing in southern Gaza on Saturday, local time.

"The vast majority of the trucks, 97 in total, were lost and drivers were forced at gunpoint to unload aid," UNRWA said in a statement on social media.

The agency did not detail who had carried out the looting, but placed responsibility for the protection of aid convoys on the Israeli government.

"The Israeli authorities continue to disregard their legal obligations under international law to ensure the population's basic needs are met and to facilitate the safe delivery of aid," the statement said.

"Such responsibilities continue when trucks enter the Gaza Strip, until people are reached with essential assistance."

The ABC has contacted the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) for comment.

It directed enquiries to the Israeli agency which coordinates operations in Gaza, known as COGAT, which did not provide an immediate response to questions.

A senior humanitarian source has previously told the ABC an atmosphere of lawlessness has developed in Gaza, beyond the conflict between Israel and militant group Hamas.

Israel was accused of effectively turning a blind eye to armed mobs targeting aid convoys, seizing supplies for sale at inflated prices through Gaza.

For its part, UNRWA said the latest looting incident would further exacerbate food shortages in the territory.

"Due to critical shortages of flour, all eight UN-supported bakeries in Deir al Balah and Khan Younis have been operating at diminished capacity for weeks," it said.

"Many have been forced to shut down entirely.

"Without immediate intervention, severe food shortages are set to worsen, further endangering the lives of over 2 million people who depend on humanitarian aid to survive."

Data published by COGAT has shown aid entering Gaza is at its lowest level since the start of the Israel-Hamas war.

But Israeli authorities have repeatedly insisted there is no limit to the amount of aid it will let into the territory, instead blaming aid agencies for not picking it up and distributing it across Gaza.

Humanitarians have rejected those claims, accusing the IDF of making it too difficult to safely transport aid through Gaza.

No replacement for UNRWA, according to agency boss The looting comes around two months before UNRWA is to be banned from operating in Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories.

In late October the Israeli parliament, the Knesset, overwhelmingly voted in favour of a law which would outlaw UNRWA within 90 days.

The Israeli government has been attacking UNRWA since the early days of the Israel Hamas war, labelling the agency as being infiltrated by Hamas and accusing its staff of helping the group carry out the deadly October 7 attacks.

A UN investigation found nine staff, out of more than 13,000 in Gaza, may have been involved and fired them.

In blocking UNRWA's operations, Israeli officials have said other agencies — including those run by the United Nations — can step in and fill the void.

"There is no plan B," UNRWA chef Philippe Lazzarini said in Geneva.

"If there is no UN or international community response, the responsibility will go back to the occupying power, being Israel.

"We will be operating until the day we cannot operate anymore, and meanwhile, we will exhaust all possible diplomatic avenues."

FEATURE NEWS
EXCLUSIVE : I go to the FICAC office after hours to support my wife - Vakalalabure
Tevita Vakalalabure, lawyer and husband of Acting FICAC Commissioner, Lavi Rokoika, has today confirmed that he goes to his wife's FICAC office when s...
12 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Fiji Airways says sexual harassment clause in Employment Bill sets ‘impossible legal standard'
Fiji Airways has warned that the Employment Relations Bill’s requirement for employers to eliminate sexual harassment imposes an unrealistic and ...
12 hours ago

5 out of 7 people charged in Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust case plead not guilty
The Chinese, Federated States of Micronesia, and Fijian nationals charged in three separate Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust cases took their ...
13 hours ago

Semo bypass to open from midnight tonight
The bypass along the Queen's Highway at Semo Village will be open to the travelling public from midnight tonight.The Fiji Roads Authority (FRA) says ...
14 hours ago

$2.5B Emerald Bay Project advances with 184 residential lots
The $2.5 billion Emerald Bay Development in Nadawa is progressing well with the development of 184 residential lots as part of its first phase, ...
14 hours ago

Lautoka Central Head Boy advocating for drug-free and responsible living
Lautoka Central College Head Boy, Deevansh Singh is urging students to stay away from drugs and take greater responsibility in protecting the ...
14 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
14 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
14 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
15 days ago

TOP