Fijivillage
20 February, 2026, 11:17 pm
Central - 24°C Rain
20 February, 2026, 11:17 pm Central - 24°C Rain

ADF to investigate after helicopter ditched near Jervis Bay in counterterrorism training

ADF to investigate after helicopter ditched near Jervis Bay in counterterrorism training

By abc.net.au
23/03/2023
MRH-90 Taipan helicopter was ditched off Jervis Bay.

Two defence force personnel have sustained minor injuries after an army helicopter ditched into the water during routine counterterrorism training near Jervis Bay on the NSW south coast.

All 10 personnel on board the Australian Army MRH-90 Taipan multi-role helicopter were recovered from the water on Wednesday night and assessed at the HMAS Creswell naval academy, the Department of Defence said.

The Chief of Army Lieutenant General Simon Stuart said the incident had the potential to end in "tragedy".

"Quick responses from ADF personnel and emergency services and well-drilled teams prevented a potential tragedy," Chief Stuart said.

"We will conduct a thorough investigation into this incident to determine the cause and ensure the platform remains safe to operate."

Defence Minister Richard Marles said the two injuries involved one person hitting their head and another taking on sea water.

"They're being looked after and essentially people have been able to get out of this without any serious injury," he said.

"That represents an incredible achievement on the part of the crew — this was a textbook response to a loss of power.

"So we should be thankful for the professionalism of the men and women of our Defence Force. In this instance, they responded to a pretty terrifying situation and in the midst of a crisis managed to act in a way which has kept everyone alive."

Witness accounts

Witnesses reportedly heard a "big flash, a big bang, and a bit of fire on top of the chopper" before the helicopter ditched.

Shoalhaven resident Col Evans, who was camping at a popular nearby campsite Green Patch, said he watched the military carrying out exercises in the area last night.

"We were sitting around the campfire, and we actually saw choppers coming overhead and half a dozen guys dangling from ropes from the chopper obviously carrying out an exercise," he said.

"They were only about treetop height, so they were really, really close."

Mr Evans said his wife discovered the downed helicopter early this morning.

"My wife came down to the beach to walk around 7am and said, 'Come on down to the beach. This thing has been beached.'"

The incident site was being contained by the Australian Federal Police and port services personnel.

The training activity has been temporarily paused as a precaution and the MRH-90 Taipan fleet will be grounded while the cause of the incident is investigated, defence said in a statement.

"At this time defence's priority is supporting the ADF members involved in the incident and their families," the department said.

An ACT police spokeswoman said they were assisting the defence-led response to the incident in a support role after receiving a call at 9:10pm.

NSW Ambulance also responded to the incident.

The MRH-90 Taipan has been plagued with issues since the Howard government ordered 46 of the European-designed helicopters in the mid-2000s.

Earlier this year, the federal government announced that the Taipans would be phased out in 2024 — 13 years ahead of the intended end of the project.

Defence grounded some or all of the fleet in 2019, 2020 and 2021 due to safety and maintenance concerns.

Story By: ABC Illawarra / By Claudia Williams, Matt Bevan, and Tim Fernandez

Original Story Link: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-03-23/australian-defence-force-helicopter-incident-jervis-bay/102132762

FEATURE NEWS
Drua suffer second bonus point defeat in Sydney
The Swire Shipping Fijian Drua suffered their second bonus-point defeat of the season, going down 36–13 to the Waratahs tonight. The Drua display...
3 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
PM confirms independent investigations into allegations against Saukuru and Gilbert Vakalalabure
Prime Minister, Sitiveni Rabuka confirms that he met Minister for Youth and Sports, Jese Saukuru, and informed him that an independent investigation ...
3 hours ago

Rabuka to meet Sports Minister over Fiji Sports Council concerns
Prime Minister Sitiveni Rabuka confirms he will meet Sports Minister Jese Saukuru today in relation to the Fiji Sports Council issues. The issues ...
4 hours ago

Electricity restored in Central and Western divisions after 132kV circuit fault
Electricity has been fully restored across the Central and Western Divisions following a fault on the 132kV Wailoa–Cunningham Circuit.Energy Fiji ...
6 hours ago

Police yet to respond if they will appeal Vakarisi's suspended sentence
Police are yet to confirm whether they will appeal Jone Vakarisi's three months sentence, suspended for two years.Vakarisi was earlier found guilty ...
6 hours ago

Severe Thunderstorm Warning in force for parts of Viti Levu
A Severe Thunderstorm Warning for Heavy Rain is now in force for the northeastern and interior parts of Viti Levu from Ba through Rakiraki to ...
8 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
14 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
15 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
15 days ago

TOP