Fijivillage
18 February, 2026, 6:53 pm
Central - 25°C Rain
18 February, 2026, 6:53 pm Central - 25°C Rain

9 Police officers suspended regarding the alleged assault case in Naqia

9 Police officers suspended regarding the alleged assault case in Naqia

By Vijay Narayan
24/04/2020
Police Commissioner Sitiveni Qiliho

Police Commissioner Sitiveni Qiliho has directed that 9 Police officers be suspended and will await the outcome of the investigation conducted by the Criminal Investigations Department regarding the alleged assault case in Naqia.

Qiliho says while the investigations have not been finalized yet, Police have reached a stage where he has directed the 9 officers to proceed on interdiction considering the information gathered so far by investigators.

The Police Commissioner says it is unfortunate that as an institution they are finding themselves in this situation because of the alleged actions of a few considering the hard work put in by thousands of other officers who have been committed to upholding the integrity and professionalism of policing during these difficult times as we faced the impacts of Severe Tropical Cyclone Harold and the ongoing battle against COVID-19.

The serious claims first surfaced on Facebook on Saturday where the man’s sister claimed that her brother was allegedly thrown off the bridge by police officers in civilian clothing.

There were also claims that the brother was allegedly assaulted and an attempt was also allegedly made to drown him in the river.

Those responsible for the alleged abhorrent act of violence against the Naqia villager must be held accountable – Raj

The Fiji Human Rights and Anti-Discrimination Commission says those responsible for the alleged abhorrent act of violence against a 32-year-old Naqia villager must be held accountable and must face the full brunt of the law.

Director Ashwin Raj confirms that the Commission is conducting an independent investigation on its own motion into the case involving the man from Naqia Village in Wainibuka Tailevu who was allegedly assaulted and thrown off a bridge by a group of police officers dressed in civilian clothing on 14th April this year.

Raj says an investigation team from the Commission visited Naqia Village yesterday and conducted interviews with several villagers who witnessed the alleged incident and shared critical information, giving their account of what had transpired at the bridge.

He says the investigation team also visited the 32-year-old man at a Suva hospital where he is undergoing medical treatment for the injuries sustained from the alleged ordeal.

He says the victim informed the Commission that he would be undergoing a third surgery since his hospitalization.

Raj says the Commission interviewed the victim regarding the incident and is now in the process of assessing the information, verifying the facts and compiling its report.

The Director says the Commission welcomes the call by the Commissioner of Police to investigate this matter and it can now confirm that officers of Criminal Investigation Department were conducting investigations in Tailevu early this week.

The Commission reiterates that in the dispensation of its constitutional mandate, law enforcement agencies must conduct themselves within the confines of the rule of law and in adherence with human rights.

He says the fact remains that no one is above the law and any use of force by law enforcement agencies must be necessary, proportionate and lawful because they have a constitutional obligation to ensure that everyone enjoys the right to be free from cruel and degrading treatment even if they are in conflict with the law.

Raj says the Commission will be forwarding its report to the Fiji Police Force and looks forward to prompt thorough and transparent investigations by the Police.

FEATURE NEWS
Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutiny
Former Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner, Sitiveni Qiliho have been charged with inciting mutiny, and will spend the n...
3 minutes ago
LATEST NEWS
Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutiny
Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutinyFormer Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner, Sitiveni Qiliho have ...
9 minutes ago

Ash Wednesday marks a sacred call to spiritual renewal
As the sun shone over the Sacred Heart Cathedral Church, members joined fellow worshippers today to observe Ash Wednesday, marking the beginning of ...
26 minutes ago

Father claims police assault turned his world into a nightmare
A father already deeply concerned with worry for his hospitalised wife and his Year 2 son says his world turned into a nightmare when he was ...
43 minutes ago

Free heart checks carried out for 1,487 children at Dilkusha Primary
A total of 1,487 free heart screenings were conducted for children by Shree Sathya Sai Sanjeevani Children’s Hospital Fiji during an outreach ...
46 minutes ago

JSC meeting with Malimali, Waqanika, lawyers for PM and AG Chambers underway
The Judicial Services Commission, chaired by Chief Justice Salesi Temo, is meeting now with sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali, her lawyer ...
2 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
12 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
12 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
13 days ago

TOP