Fijivillage
20 February, 2026, 12:33 pm
Central - 30°C Rain
20 February, 2026, 12:33 pm Central - 30°C Rain

5,780 vulnerable children to receive education assistance from FENC in 2026

5,780 vulnerable children to receive education assistance from FENC in 2026

By Temalesi Vono
09/01/2026
National Executive Coordinator Nirmala Nambiar
A total of 5,780 vulnerable children across Fiji will receive education assistance in 2026 after the Foundation for the Education of Needy Children (FENC Fiji) completed its nationwide assessment under their Child Education Support Scheme (CESS).

FENC Fiji confirmed today that the assessment phase for the 2026 scheme has officially concluded, with the packing of education packs nearing completion and distribution set to commence on Monday.

Speaking at a press conference at the FENC Fiji office in Suva, National Executive Coordinator Nirmala Nambiar says the foundation received 11,605 applications for the 2026 academic year, of which 5,780 were approved following a rigorous vetting process.

Nambiar reiterated an earlier statement by Minister for Education Aseri Radrodro on the Government’s Back to School Assistance, emphasising that parents and guardians have a responsibility to seek educational support for their children and to closely monitor their progress.

Nambiar says as a charitable trust, FENC Fiji remains strictly targeted towards families with a weekly household income of $100 or below.

She says applications that were declined commonly involved incomplete documentation, a lack of proof of income, applicants exceeding the income threshold, or insufficient evidence of a family’s vulnerable status.

She adds that the foundation strongly believes no child should be left behind and continues to support parents and guardians towards achieving sustainable livelihoods.

Nambiar says distribution of assistance will be conducted by division, beginning with the Eastern Division, followed by the Northern, Western and Central divisions.

Parents and guardians are advised to wait for a direct call from their respective district offices, where they will be informed whether their application has been successful and provided with further instructions.

Nambiar says to ensure fairness and transparency, the assessment process was carried out by an independent group of assessors, with no involvement from FENC Fiji staff while all data entered into the foundation’s database will be made available to key stakeholders.

The foundation’s work has been strengthened by a $300,000 Government grant approved last year, enabling it to expand its reach.

The funding supports the provision of essential back-to-school supplies for students from ECE to Year 13, as well as the establishment of learning centres in Labasa and the Western Division, offering after-school tutoring and counselling.
FEATURE NEWS
Fiji removed from EU tax blacklist after years of reform
Fiji has been removed from the European Union’s blacklist of non-cooperative jurisdictions for tax purposes, marking what the Fiji Revenue and Custo...
36 minutes ago
LATEST NEWS
Nepani Homes progressing, families to move in by mid-year - Magnus
Works at the Nepani Subdivision are advancing, and families allocated homes through the recent barrel draw are expected to begin moving in by ...
31 minutes ago

UK High Commissioner launches “No Learner Left Behind” initiative in Fiji
British High Commissioner to Fiji, Kanbar Hossein-Bor, hosted the inaugural stakeholder meeting for the “No Learner Left Behind” initiative, in ...
31 minutes ago

Instead of drugs people should dedicate themselves to spiritual development - Dr Maharaj
General Practitioner Dr Rajesh Maharaj says instead of indulging in drugs, alcohol, kava and smoking, people should dedicate themselves to spiritual ...
33 minutes ago

Fiji removed from EU tax blacklist after years of reform
Fiji has been removed from the European Union’s blacklist of non-cooperative jurisdictions for tax purposes, marking what the Fiji Revenue and ...
36 minutes ago

Andrew released after arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been released following his arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office.Thames Valley Police earlier said they ...
3 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
14 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
14 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
15 days ago

TOP