Fijivillage
18 February, 2026, 3:10 pm
Central - 30°C Rain
18 February, 2026, 3:10 pm Central - 30°C Rain

4 new border cases of COVID-19

4 new border cases of COVID-19

By Naveel Krishant
06/01/2021
Permanent Secretary Dr. James Fong

The Ministry of Health has today announced four new border cases of COVID-19.

Permanent Secretary Dr. James Fong says the 1st case is a 35-year-old man who travelled from the United Kingdom and arrived in Fiji on flight NZ 952 from Auckland on December 24th.

Dr. Fong says the 2nd and 3rd cases are a 25-year-old man and a 27-year-old woman who arrived on flight GA 8250 from New Delhi on December 21st.

He adds the 4th case is a 55-year-old man who travelled from Mali and arrived in Fiji on the 31st of December on flight NZ952 from Auckland.

All four individuals tested positive during routine testing while undergoing mandatory quarantine in the government designated (and Republic of Fiji Military Forces supervised) border quarantine facilities in Nadi.

Dr. Fong says the individuals have been safely and hygienically transferred to the isolation ward at the Lautoka Hospital in accordance with the standard protocol for confirmed cases.

Dr. Fong adds the frontline border and quarantine staff who were directly involved with the cases have followed their standard infection prevention and control protocols, and will be monitored and tested as necessary.

He says they also have another positive case that is considered a historical case.

Dr. Fong says the 39-year-old man arrived on flight NZ952 from Hong Kong on December 21st adding the man tested positive during routine border quarantine testing, however, this person had already tested positive between October-December while travelling in France and the United Kingdom and will not be counted as a new case for Fiji.

He also says this individual had subsequently tested negative in pre-departure testing in the United Kingdom and also tested negative during day 3 testing in border quarantine in Fiji.

Dr. Fong says it is known that non-infectious particles of the COVID-19 virus can remain detectable, and result in a positive test result, long after the infection has passed, even if the person has tested negative previously; therefore it is unlikely that this person is currently infectious.

He adds the man is also symptom free, however, as a precaution, he has been transferred to the isolation ward at Lautoka hospital according to their standard protocol.

Fiji has a total of 53 cases since our first case was detected on March 19th last year, with the last 35 cases detected in border quarantine.

Fiji now has 5 active cases and it has now been 263 days since the last case was detected outside border quarantine.

FEATURE NEWS
Bainimarama and Qiliho being questioned at CID Headquarters
Former Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner, Sitiveni Qiliho are currently being questioned at the CID Headquarters.fijiv...
15 minutes ago
LATEST NEWS
Faith Harvest Church trustees want Govt to join Israel charter proceedings
Reverend Manasa Kolivuso and other trustees of Faith Harvest Church who, along with others, have been sued by Fiji Airways for allegedly not paying ...
24 minutes ago

Hearing for Judicial Review of COI set for 10th to 12th April
The hearing for the judicial review into the Commission of Inquiry Report regarding the appointment of Barbara Malimali as FICAC Commissioner will be ...
2 hours ago

Ash Wednesday marks a sacred call to spiritual renewal
As the sun shone over the Sacred Heart Cathedral Church, members joined fellow worshippers today to observe Ash Wednesday, marking the beginning of ...
3 hours ago

Son and mother left homeless after fire in Saru, Lautoka
30-year-old Binitesh Sharma and his 72-year-old mother, Veenat Kumari, are homeless after a fire destroys their two-bedroom home at Saru Back Road in ...
3 hours ago

Free heart checks carried out for 1,487 children at Dilkusha Primary
A total of 1,487 free heart screenings were conducted for children by Shree Sathya Sai Sanjeevani Children’s Hospital Fiji during an outreach ...
5 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
12 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
12 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
13 days ago

TOP