Fijivillage
20 February, 2026, 3:08 am
Central - 23°C Clouds
20 February, 2026, 3:08 am Central - 23°C Clouds

Magistrate Puamau acknowledges Acting CJ’s guilty verdict for Bainimarama and Qiliho
Bainimarama and Qiliho appeal their conviction

Magistrate Puamau acknowledges Acting CJ’s guilty verdict for Bainimarama and Qiliho

Bainimarama and Qiliho appeal their conviction

By Vijay Narayan , Karishma Kumari
18/03/2024
Former Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama and suspended Police Commissioner, Brigadier General Sitiveni Qiliho

The oral sentencing and mitigation submissions for former Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama and suspended Police Commissioner, Brigadier General Sitiveni Qiliho will be heard this Thursday after their conviction by Acting Chief Justice Salesi Temo in the High Court last week.

Magistrate Seini Puamau says she acknowledges the conviction entered by the High Court and asked the State and the Defence to file written sentencing and mitigation submissions on Wednesday and oral submissions in court on Thursday.

When the case was called in the Suva Magistrates Court this morning, Devanesh Sharma, the lawyer for Bainimarama and Qiliho, said that he had filed an application for a stay on the guilty judgement of the High Court in the Fiji Court of Appeal, and also asked if there can be a stay on the sentencing process.

After taking a short break, it was decided that a stay on the sentencing process cannot be ruled upon by the Magistrates Court after the higher court had made the ruling.

Magistrate Puamau also stated that she will simply be acknowledging the findings of the High Court.

This was in relation to her entering the conviction of Bainimarama and Qiliho.

State prosecutor, Nancy Tikoisuva highlighted that they are bound by the decision of the High Court.

Magistrate Puamau says you can only convict a person once, and it has already been done in the High Court.

She says it cannot be done the second time.

Magistrate Puamau has also asked the state counsels, Laisani Tabuakoro and Nancy Tikoisuva and the Defence to file their submissions for sentencing and mitigation.

The prosecution did not ask for a remand pending sentence for Bainimarama and Qiliho.

The bail conditions stand for the two as they await their sentencing later this month.

Magistrate Puamau has acknowledged that both Bainimarama and Qiliho have been found guilty by the High Court.

Bainimarama and Qiliho’s hearing is scheduled for Thursday from 11am to 1pm.

Bainimarama has been found guilty of one count of attempt to pervert the course of justice while Qiliho has been found guilty of one count of abuse of office.

They were earlier found not guilty by Magistrate Puamau.

According to the charges, Bainimarama sometime in July 2020 as the Prime Minister directed the Police Commissioner to stop the investigation into a police complaint, in the abuse of the authority of his office, which was an arbitrary act prejudicial to the rights of the University of the South Pacific which is the complainant.

For Qiliho’s charges, the charges say that Qiliho on the 15th of July, 2020 as the Police Commissioner directed the Director of the Criminal Investigations Department, Serupepeli Neiko and Inspector Reshmi Dass to stop investigations into the police complaint by the USP, in the abuse of the authority of his office, which was an arbitrary act prejudicial to the rights of USP.

Acting Chief Justice Salesi Temo had ruled last week that Bainimarama and Qiliho have to be sentenced by Magistrate Seini Puamau on the 28th of March.

Indepth on Case: https://www.fijivillage.com/indepth/Bainimarama-and-Qilihos-Acquittal-Appeal-f8rx54/

Bainimarama and Qiliho USP case

FEATURE NEWS
EXCLUSIVE : I go to the FICAC office after hours to support my wife - Vakalalabure
Tevita Vakalalabure, lawyer and husband of Acting FICAC Commissioner, Lavi Rokoika, has today confirmed that he goes to his wife's FICAC office when s...
10 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Fiji Airways says sexual harassment clause in Employment Bill sets ‘impossible legal standard'
Fiji Airways has warned that the Employment Relations Bill’s requirement for employers to eliminate sexual harassment imposes an unrealistic and ...
10 hours ago

5 out of 7 people charged in Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust case plead not guilty
The Chinese, Federated States of Micronesia, and Fijian nationals charged in three separate Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust cases took their ...
11 hours ago

Semo bypass to open from midnight tonight
The bypass along the Queen's Highway at Semo Village will be open to the travelling public from midnight tonight.The Fiji Roads Authority (FRA) says ...
12 hours ago

$2.5B Emerald Bay Project advances with 184 residential lots
The $2.5 billion Emerald Bay Development in Nadawa is progressing well with the development of 184 residential lots as part of its first phase, ...
13 hours ago

Lautoka Central Head Boy advocating for drug-free and responsible living
Lautoka Central College Head Boy, Deevansh Singh is urging students to stay away from drugs and take greater responsibility in protecting the ...
13 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
14 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
14 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
15 days ago

TOP