Fijivillage
18 February, 2026, 8:10 pm
Central - 25°C Rain
18 February, 2026, 8:10 pm Central - 25°C Rain

Keresi Maya joins Bati squad after 4-Year rugby ban

Keresi Maya joins Bati squad after 4-Year rugby ban

Despite being criticized and banned from playing rugby for six years, former Naitasiri U20 player Keresi Maya has managed to beat the odds and secure a spot in the Vodafone Fiji Bati squad for the Pacific Bowl Championship.

Maya told Fijivillage News that he suffered a lot and was pushed to the brink of suicide, but he is thankful that his family stood by him during those challenging days.

The man from Bouma Village says that the support from his family motivated him while he worked on his farm in Taveuni.

He says that with little hope of playing again, he joined the Fiji Rugby Union Referee Association and managed to participate as a touch judge during the Marist 7s last year.

He adds that the turning point came after the Marist 7s, where he convinced his parents to let him join the Navy Albatross Rugby League side, and was later selected by the head coach after a local competition.

Maya hopes he will be given a chance to showcase his talent and play alongside senior players like Tui Kamikamica, Viliame Kikau, Maika Sivo, and Sunia Turuva.

The Bati will host the PNG Kumuls at 8.10pm this Saturday at the HFC Bank Stadium.

FNRL
FEATURE NEWS
Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutiny
Former Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner, Sitiveni Qiliho have been charged with inciting mutiny, and will spend the n...
1 hour ago
LATEST NEWS
Six students questioned over Galoa bullying case
Six students have been questioned and released by police following an alleged bullying incident in Galoa Village, Serua. Police confirm that ...
43 minutes ago

Waqanika and Bainivalu pleased with discussions; JSC to meet again on 25 March
Following a meeting with the Judicial Services Commission, chaired by Chief Justice Salesi Temo, the counsel of sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara ...
46 minutes ago

Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutiny
Bainimarama and Qiliho charged with inciting mutinyFormer Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner, Sitiveni Qiliho have ...
1 hour ago

Ash Wednesday marks a sacred call to spiritual renewal
As the sun shone over the Sacred Heart Cathedral Church, members joined fellow worshippers today to observe Ash Wednesday, marking the beginning of ...
2 hours ago

Father claims police assault turned his world into a nightmare
A father already deeply concerned with worry for his hospitalised wife and his Year 2 son says his world turned into a nightmare when he was ...
2 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
12 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
12 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
13 days ago

TOP