Fijivillage
19 February, 2026, 5:27 pm
Central - 27°C Rain
19 February, 2026, 5:27 pm Central - 27°C Rain

About 20 people homeless after 5 residential fires in the past week

About 20 people homeless after 5 residential fires in the past week

By Mansi Chand
16/07/2024
Photo : File

About 20 people are homeless after 5 residential fires in the past week while investigations on the cause of the fires are being finalised.

The National Fire Authority say at 2.13am on Sunday the Sigatoka Fire Station received an alert from the Police Command Centre on a structural fire incident at the Fiji Sugar Corporation’s compound at Naidovi, just over 11 kilometres from Sigatoka Town.

The on-duty crew responded immediately with one truck and four officers and arrived at the scene at 2.24am to find a two-bedroom corrugated iron and timber house fully engulfed in flames.

The NFA say the house belongs to local tour company Eco Trax and was vacant at the time of the fire as the couple occupying it were away at a family function.

The property sustained 95 percent of the damage and the estimated value is $25,000.

The NFA says on Tuesday a call was received at 10.32am that a house was on fire along Gaji Road and firefighters reached the scene at 10.42am.

This has left 6 adults and 2 children homeless.

On the same day 4 people living in Burenitu Village in Ra were left homeless after their property sustained 95 percent damages which is valued at $25,000.

They say on Wednesday a house in Burelevu Village in Ra and another house in Uciwai Sangam School in Nadi had been totally destroyed, valued at $80,000.

This has left 11 people homeless.

Meanwhile, CEO Puamau Sowane has reiterated a warning to homeowners and tenants to secure their properties and ensure everything is in order when leaving their homes for work or to attend functions.

Sowane says that electrical remain the highest causes of structural fires in Fiji, it is important to have a licensed electrician to check the whole electrical wiring in your homes, if it was wired more than 20 years ago.

He urges people to call on 910 toll-free line in case of fire or any other emergency to allow our people to respond in a timely manner.

FEATURE NEWS
EXCLUSIVE : I go to the FICAC office after hours to support my wife - Vakalalabure
Tevita Vakalalabure, lawyer and husband of Acting FICAC Commissioner, Lavi Rokoika, has today confirmed that he goes to his wife's FICAC office when s...
21 minutes ago
LATEST NEWS
Fiji Airways says sexual harassment clause in Employment Bill sets ‘impossible legal standard'
Fiji Airways has warned that the Employment Relations Bill’s requirement for employers to eliminate sexual harassment imposes an unrealistic and ...
19 minutes ago

5 out of 7 people charged in Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust case plead not guilty
The Chinese, Federated States of Micronesia, and Fijian nationals charged in three separate Rewa Street and Flagstaff drug bust cases took their ...
2 hours ago

Semo bypass to open from midnight tonight
The bypass along the Queen's Highway at Semo Village will be open to the travelling public from midnight tonight.The Fiji Roads Authority (FRA) says ...
2 hours ago

$2.5B Emerald Bay Project advances with 184 residential lots
The $2.5 billion Emerald Bay Development in Nadawa is progressing well with the development of 184 residential lots as part of its first phase, ...
3 hours ago

Lautoka Central Head Boy advocating for drug-free and responsible living
Lautoka Central College Head Boy, Deevansh Singh is urging students to stay away from drugs and take greater responsibility in protecting the ...
3 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
13 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
13 days ago

Malimali’s legal battle against President, PM and AG
Another legal battle starts today as sacked FICAC Commissioner, Barbara Malimali takes her matter to court against the President, Prime Minister and ...
14 days ago

TOP