Qantas stands down 2,500 staff over Sydney lockdown

Qantas stands down 2,500 staff over Sydney lockdown

By Naveel Krishant
Tuesday 03/08/2021

Qantas says it will stand down 2,500 staff as a lockdown in Sydney impacts air travel across Australia.

The airline says the furlough - affecting pilots, crew and airport workers - will last for at least two months.

Qantas adds it would pay staff until mid-August, after which they could apply for government support payments.

Since June, fresh Covid outbreaks have forced most Australian states to reimpose restrictions.

The highly contagious Delta variant has forced lockdowns in several cities and some state border closures.

The situation is most severe in Sydney. It is seeing about 200 new infections each day, despite being in lockdown since 26 June.

Nearly all states have banned travellers from Australia's largest city.

Qantas chief executive Alan Joyce says the latest Delta outbreaks had led to thousands of cancelled flights.

He adds Qantas and its budget carrier, Jetstar, had lost about 60% of their domestic business from May to July.

A travel bubble with New Zealand has also been suspended.

Joyce says the airline could no longer keep the 2,500 workers on its payroll, but described it as a temporary measure.

[Source: BBC]


FIJI COVID-19 VACCINATION CENTRES


Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Fiji continues to be affected by COVID-19
Contact tracing continues for most parts of Suva and Nausori. Mon 19th Apr Tue 20th Apr Wed 21st Apr Thu 22nd Apr Sat 24th Apr Sun ...
10 hours ago

258,000 people lived under the Basic Needs Poverty Line according to the 2019-20 Household Income and Expenditure Survey
Survey says almost one in five school aged children in Fiji are educationally deprived
6 days ago

Debate on the Bill to Amend the iTaukei Land Trust Act
Debate on the Bill to Amend the iTaukei Land Trust ...
52 days ago
FEATURE NEWS
Opposition MPs calls rejected for Electoral Registration of Voters Amendment Bill to be referred for public consultation
The calls made by the Opposition parliamentarians has been rejected today for the government to refer the Electoral Registration of Voters Amendment B...
2 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Household Income and Expenditure Survey is flawed – Dr. Reddy
Minister for Agriculture, Dr. Mahendra Reddy says the 2019-20 Household Income and Expenditure Survey is flawed because the data for two different ...
43 minutes ago

The Speaker has not prevented debate on the floor of the parliament – Ratu Epeli
Speaker of Parliament, Ratu Epeli Nailatikau stresses it is important to note that the parliamentary business committee will have the final say in ...
5 hours ago

Over 8,000 children have tested positive for COVID-19 in Fiji – Dr Waqainabete
As the Ministry of Health begins rolling out the Moderna vaccine for children between the ages of 15 to 17 years from today, Health Minister Dr ...
5 hours ago

Man to front court for allegedly murdering 54 year old man in Ba
A 20 year old man who allegedly murdered a 54 year old man of Bilolo, Ba last week will appear in the Ba Magistrates Court today. The accused is ...
7 hours ago

No COVID cases recorded in the maritime islands in the last 24 hrs
No new COVID-19 cases were recorded in Kadavu, Malolo, Naviti, Waya, Nacula and Beqa Island in the last 24 hours. The Permanent Secretary for ...
8 hours ago

TOP