News abc-news

Former MMA fighter Conor McGregor loses his appeal against civil rape case

Former MMA fighter Conor McGregor loses his appeal against civil rape case
An Irish appeals court has completely dismissed former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) star Conor McGregor's bid to overturn a jury's order that he compensate a woman who accused him of raping her. (Reuters: Clodagh Kilcoyne)

Former mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter Conor McGregor has lost his attempt to overturn a civil jury's order that he compensate a woman who accused him of raping her, with Ireland's Court of Appeal rejecting the bid in its entirety.

The plaintiff, Nikita Hand, alleged that McGregor — one of the world's highest-paid athletes — sexually assaulted her in a Dublin hotel room on December 9, 2018. 

A jury last year ordered McGregor to pay her nearly 250,000 euros ($443,357) in damages.

McGregor, 36, denied the allegation and said he had "fully consensual sex" with Ms Hand. 

The ex-Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) star also denied causing bruising to the plaintiff.

Ms Hand last year said that she and a friend made contact with McGregor, who she knew, after a work Christmas party.

She said they were driven by McGregor to a party in a penthouse room of a south Dublin hotel where drugs and alcohol were consumed.

The verdict against McGregor was reached at the conclusion of a two-week civil trial in Ireland's high court, by a jury of eight women and four men.

They handed down their decision after just over six hours of deliberations.

Speaking outside the court in November last year after the initial verdict was handed down, Ms Hand said she was overwhelmed by the support she had received and felt vindicated.

"I hope my story is a reminder that no matter how afraid you might be, speak up," she said.

The now-retired MMA star earnt $180 million in 2021, making him the world's highest paid athlete in 2021, according to Forbes.

In March this year, McGregor was invited to the White House by United States President Donald Trump on St Patrick's Day, where the former UFC champion made various anti-immigration comments in relation to Ireland.

"It’s about time that America is made aware of what’s going on in Ireland. What is going on in Ireland is a travesty," McGregor said, ahead of an Oval Office meeting with the US president.

Story by: Reuters

Original Story link: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2025-08-01/conor-mcgregor-sex-assault-appeal-dismissed-by-irish-court/105599194

Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
Scoreboard
9:50PM
Storm vs Panthers
8:00PM
Raiders vs Broncos
10:00PM
Dolphins vs Eels
Full Time
Fiji 22–29 South Africa
8:00am
Ratu Navula College vs Queen Victoria School
9:05am
Marist Brothers High School vs Ratu Kadavulevu School
11:30am
Suva Grammar School vs Queen Victoria School
Kadavu vs Malolo
Navosa vs Ba
Lautoka vs Rewa
Full Time
Suva 24–32 Nadi
Full Time
Tailevu 50–05 Nadroga
Full Time
Kadavu 48–0 Rewa
3:10AM
Springboks vs All Blacks
5:00AM
Lions vs All Blacks