Fijivillage
23 February, 2026, 3:49 am
Central - 24°C Rain
23 February, 2026, 3:49 am Central - 24°C Rain

AFP officers to extract information from Bainimarama’s phone
State believes the phone William Pawa has belonged to Bainimarama

AFP officers to extract information from Bainimarama’s phone

State believes the phone William Pawa has belonged to Bainimarama

By Mansi Chand
19/08/2025

State Counsel Laisani Tabuakuro has informed the High Court in the trial of former Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama and former Police Commissioner Sitiveni Qiliho that Australian Federal Police technicians will arrive by the end of this week with machines to extract the information from Bainimarama’s old iPhone they have managed to locate.

Tabuakuro says they have been attempting to extract data from it since last week but have been unable to retrieve information from August 2021.

Screenshot-2025-08-19-at-14-43-17

The State Counsel says they believe the phone the Planning and Coordinating Officer at the Prime Minister's Office, William Pawa has belonged to former Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama and was used in 2021 to send Viber messages.

She says they were able to track the phone with the IMEI number provided by Vodafone Fiji.

Screenshot-2025-08-19-at-14-43-53

While giving evidence in the trial, State witness Pawa says he assisted in recovering some items from Bainimarama when his term as the Prime Minister ended.

He says the Apple screen was replaced by Bainimarama, while the iPhone 12 Pro that was returned had a serial number.

Pawa testified that he later asked the former Prime Minister if he could use the iPhone 12 Pro.

When Tabuakuro asked if his superiors were aware of this personal arrangement, Pawa confirmed they were not.

Pawa says he received the phone in August 2023 and used it until last Thursday, when police collected it.

Screenshot-2025-08-19-at-14-44-12

During cross-examination, defence counsel Devanesh Sharma asked how Pawa knew if the phone he received was new.

He replied that he believed it was new because the iCloud did not require any password.

Bainimarama is charged with one count of unwarranted demand made by a public official, while former Police Commissioner Sitiveni Qiliho is charged with two counts of abuse of office.

It is alleged that Bainimarama and Qiliho made unwarranted demands to then Acting Police Commissioner Rusiate Tudravu, directing him to terminate the employment of certain police officers from the Fiji Police Force.

It is alleged that Bainimarama, between the 21st of May 2021 to the 18th of August 2021 in Suva, as the Prime Minister of Fiji made an unwarranted demand with menance to the then Acting Commissioner of Police, Rusiate Tudravu, by threatening his employment to influence the Acting COMPOL to comply with his unwarranted demand for the termination of the employment of Sergeant Penieli Ratei and Police Constable Tomasi Naulu who came under the supervision and authority of the Commissioner of Police.

It is alleged that between the 5th to the 18th of August 2021 in Suva whilst being employed as the Commissioner of Police, Qiliho directed the termination of employment of Sergeant Penieli Ratei and Police Constable Tomasi Naulu without due process which was an abuse of office of his authority as the Commissioner of Police and the termination was prejudicial to the rights Ratei and Naulu.

535053348-1421257332258580-3732245099756545272-n

Click here for stories on the Bainimarama and Qiliho case

FEATURE NEWS
Please listen and protect whistleblowers - Vanessa Charters
Please listen and protect the whistleblowers.That is the message to the people of Fiji from Charlie Charters' wife, Vanessa Charters outside the FICAC...
6 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Modi calls for human-centric AI at Global Summit in New Delhi
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has called for Artificial Intelligence to remain human-centric and focused on global good while addressing world ...
11 hours ago

Over 51 pets desexed at Nadovu Park as animals Fiji and partners step up animal welfare efforts
Over 51 desexing surgeries were carried out yesterday at Nadovu Park in Lautoka with support from Animals Fiji, the Lautoka City Council, and the ...
11 hours ago

Teen dies from suspected Leptospirosis as Health Ministry urges caution
Members of the public are advised by the Ministry of Health and Medical Services to take immediate precautions against leptospirosis following a ...
13 hours ago

FMA raises serious concerns regarding Charters' arrest and Sports Council
The Fiji Media Association is deeply concerned with today’s developments involving Charlie Charters, who was earlier stopped at Nadi International ...
13 hours ago

Charters still in FICAC custody
There is still no official word from FICAC on why Fijian national, Charlie Charters has been takencustody.fijivillage News understands Charters will ...
14 hours ago



Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Charlie Charters held at Nadi Airport because of a FICAC flag on his file
Fijian national, Charlie Charters is being held at immigration at Nadi International Airport because of a FICAC flag on his file.fijivillage News has ...
14 hours ago

Minister ready to repay business class air fare for wife as concerns grow about Sports Council deals
I was invited to travel to New Zealand by the Fiji Sports Council for a grassroots 7s tournament in 2024, I travelled business class but it was ...
17 days ago

Malimali and others filed for judicial review into COI
The application for leave for the judicial review has been made by former FICAC Commissioner Barbara Malimali, former Attorney General Graham Leung ...
17 days ago

TOP