The National Fire Authority has confirmed that the fire at Crompton Place in Samabula on Sunday which destroyed a double-storey house started due to an electrical short circuit.
According to investigators, the fire started from the ceiling of the top floor of the building.
The occupants of the house were sleeping when they were awoken by cracking noise and saw that smoke and fire had engulfed the hallway.
NFA CEO Puamau Sowane is advising the public to look out for warning signs like faulty wiring, flickering lights, breakers that always trip, fuses that blow, a burning smell when plugging appliances and discoloured wall outlets to prevent mishaps in homes.
He is also requesting the public to ensure all electrical work in homes and buildings are done by a qualified electrician and frequently checked for any faults.
Meanwhile, investigations still continue in the fire incident which destroyed a house belonging to a 51-year-old man at Rice Mill Road, Votualevu, Nadi last Saturday.
Police say the man and his family were away when the incident occurred.
They say the estimated cost of damage is $30,000.
Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations