SANZAAR’s 20-minute red card push heading for crucial World Rugby vote

SANZAAR’s 20-minute red card push heading for crucial World Rugby vote

By Alipate Narawa
Wednesday 13/03/2024
Source : Rugby World

SANZAAR’s drive to see the 20-minute red card introduced across the international game has made progress, although there are still hurdles to be cleared.

SANZAAR Chief Executive Brendan Morris attended the recent World Rugby “Shape of the Game” forum in London, and told Stuff.co that the proposal had been recommended for a vote at a World Rugby council meeting in May.

If successful, and the council vote needs to be a 75 percent majority, the proposal would be advanced to a global trial, which is the first step to it becoming law.

However, there is still some reticence from the Six Nations competition, with Stuff being told by two sources that France had reservations.

Morris says the [Shape of the Game] workshop made some recommendations, one of which was that the 20-minute red card would go to a global trial.

He says in the short term, the Six Nations bloc came back to them and said, they would prefer to go to a closed trial and then come back and have another look.

The 20-minute red card has been used in a closed trial in Super Rugby since 2020, and introduced into the Rugby Championship in 2021, although it wasn’t used last year to make it consistent with the rules that teams would encounter at the Rugby World Cup.

Cognisant of the player welfare implications, Morris says that if the 20-minute proposal made it into law it could be accompanied by a tougher off-field sanctioning regime.

Morris says the sanctions off-field may to go up a little bit to make it more a deterrent.

Morris says that southern hemisphere fans had told Sanzaar loud and clear they opposed 80-minute red cards, especially as a number of them were due to technique and timing issues in the tackle, rather than dirty play.

 Source: Stuff.co

FNRL
FEATURE NEWS
Family mourns the sudden passing of 'Ranadi Kei Viti'
37-year-old Esala Seru Yalewamama’s family is trying to come to terms after the sudden passing of their eldest member, best known as 'Ranadi Kei Vit...
3 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Bus company temporarily fixes potholes on Lami Bridge
In a gesture of good will and the benefit for the people of Lami, Shore Buses has temporarily fixed potholes on Lami Bridge. In a facebook post, ...
2 hours ago

More than 25 jobs created as RC Manubhai opens in Navua
More than 25 people now have a job in Navua as RC Manubhai has opened a branch to cater for the people from Serua and Namosi. While speaking to ...
2 hours ago

Family seeks help to find missing 38-year-old son Elvin Lal
A family is seeking assistance in locating their son, 38-year-old Elvin Lal, who has been missing since last Sunday from their home in Deepwater, ...
5 hours ago

60 families may join members in Australia under PALM scheme pilot program
About 60 families could be joining their family members working under the PALM scheme in Australia as they were part of the Family Accompaniment ...
8 hours ago

200 students pioneer at cadet pass out at Ba Sanatan College
200 students have pioneered the Ba Sanatan College’s first cadet pass-out parade which was reviewed by Acting Commissioner of Police Juki Fong Chew ...
8 hours ago



fijivillage Straight Talk with Vijay Narayan
Latest Videos

Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
yb
IN DEPTH
2024-2025 National Budget address by the Minister for Finance
2024-2025 National Budget address by the Minister for Finance Prof. Biman Prasad. 2024-2025 Budget ...
6 days ago

Crisis within FijiFirst that led to its deregistration
The FijiFirst Party has been de-registered by the Registrar of Political Parties, Ana Mataiciwa. This is the end of the party that led government ...
10 days ago

Pre-Budget 2024-2025
Pre Budget 2024-2025 budget recommendations and an insight of what people on the ground wish to see in the National Budget
16 days ago

TOP