Fijivillage
NEWS SPORTS
ACCF
ACCF

NFP Leader calls for the resignation of FSC CEO while Graham Clark says they do not respond to third party comments

NFP Leader calls for the resignation of FSC CEO while Graham Clark says they do not respond to third party comments

By Dhanjay Deo
Friday 10/07/2020
NFP Leader Professor Biman Prasad

The National Federation Party says Fiji Sugar Corporation’s CEO Graham Clark must take full responsibility for the colossal failure of FSC and resign immediately while FSC’s CEO, Graham Clark says the FSC does not respond to third party comments.

NFP Leader Professor Biman Prasad says Clark, who has been FSC CEO for over three years, has presided over the demise of FSC, the deteriorating state of the sugar mills resulting in the Corporation being technically insolvent.

He says the painful reality of this disastrous performance of FSC under Clark is the suffering of cane growers, cane-cutters, lorry operators, mill workers and their families.

Prasad says Clark has enjoyed hefty salary, perks and privileges for far too long.

He adds that the beginning of the 2020 harvesting and crushing season has been one of the worst in recent history of the sugar industry due to lack of preparedness of Lautoka and Rarawai mills.

Prasad says this is due to the shutdown of the Lautoka Mill that has failed to start on the scheduled crushing date and FSC’s decision to continue harvesting operations in the Lautoka Mill area and for the cane to be transported to Rarawai Mill in Ba.

He says because of the inability of the Rarawai Mill to operate at its maximum capacity, cane growers in the Western Division cane belt areas from Rakiraki to Sigatoka are suffering and incurring huge losses due to loss of tonnage as harvested cane either dries up in the fields or on lorries and rail carts.

Prasad says the growers are incurring losses in trying to maintain the basic needs of idle cane cutters who either earn no income due to lack of harvesting or significantly reduced wages because of reduced or intermittent harvesting quota by FSC.

When contacted, FSC’s CEO Graham Clark says the Lautoka Mill started crushing as planned this morning and continues to crush, slowly building capacity.

He adds that Rarawai Mill is settled well and crushing above both last year levels and weekly budget and no cane from Lautoka is being transferred at present.

We have also sent questions to the Permanent Secretary for Sugar, Yogesh Karan.


Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Budget Debate 2020 - 2021
Members of parliament will deliver their response to the 2020/2021 National Budget. 2020-2021 Budget ResourcesAddressEstimatesSupplementRevenue ...
7 days ago

National Budget 2020-2021
Full coverage of 2020-2021 National Budget including budget consultation from different sectors. Major changes announced in the 2020/2021 ...
20 days ago

SODELPA spectacle
With SODELPA going through changes and opposition within the party, we give you all the stories that covered these ...
31 days ago
FEATURE NEWS
Two men allegedly drug and rape a woman in Lautoka after meeting her on Facebook
Two men have been charged with the rape and sexual assault of a 22-year-old woman whom they met on Facebook. The DPP’s Office says the two men ag...
7 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Tessa Price is FNU Acting Vice-Chancellor until FNU Council appoints new Acting VC
The Fiji National University Council has unanimously agreed to appoint Tessa Price to assume the role of Acting Vice-Chancellor for one month ...
5 hours ago

Parents must never shift the role of teaching values to teachers - Akbar
Minister for Education Rosy Akbar has stressed that parents must never shift the role of teaching values to children to the teachers. While ...
6 hours ago

10 of the 20 victims who were allegedly raped or sexually assaulted in July were under the age of 18 years
10 of the 20 victims who were allegedly raped or sexually assaulted in July this year were under the age of 18 years. The Office of the Director ...
7 hours ago

Man charged with robbing and raping a 60-year-old woman
A 28-year-old man who allegedly robbed a 60-year-old woman, has also been charged with raping the woman. The DPP’s Office says the alleged ...
7 hours ago

Bus conductor found with methamphetamine released on bail
A 29-year-old bus conductor who is charged with one count of unlawful possession of illicit drugs has been released on bail by Chief Magistrate Usaia ...
7 hours ago

TOP