61% of the 2,614 USP students that received their certificates, diplomas and degrees today in the first USP Graduation this year are women.
In a video message at the ceremony at the FMF Gymnasium, USP Vice Chancellor and President Professor Pal Ahluwalia says this is the largest USP graduation to date and it will culminate over two days with four sessions.
Professor Ahluwalia adds that in the 2018-2021 period, 236 post-graduate research students graduated of which 81% completions were Masters by thesis and the remaining 19% were PHD programmes across all disciplines.
Mechanical engineering graduate Usaia Baravilewadamu says it took him six years to complete his degree because he took a needed break for his mental health.
Baravilewadamu says he is fortunate that he is already working at Telecom Fiji Limited.
He says he did his attachment there and they took him on full time before he graduated.
There will be another graduation session this afternoon.
Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations