The Suva High Court has granted a motion for the release of devices seized from Fijian and British national Charlie Charters.
Charters filed the motion in the High Court on Friday after the Fiji Police Force returned seven seized electronic devices to his lawyer following the termination of the investigation against him, and immediately re-seized the devices under a fresh court order.
The case was called today before Suva High Court Judge Justice Pita Bulamainivalu.
Assisting the High Court this morning, Acting Director of Public Prosecutions Nancy Tikoisuva said the case should have been over after the High Court granted the permanent stay application.
She said immediately after the judge's ruling, FICAC transferred the case to Police, but Police were not informed of the ruling.
Tikoisuva said there was also miscommunication between FICAC and the Commissioner of Police.
Charters' lawyer informed the court that they would not be pursuing costs.
The seven devices that were re-seized by Police include medical apps for the treatment and management of Charters’ throat cancer and heart condition that he has not been able to access for six months, as well as financial and payment Apps and hard drives on which his work product is stored.
In court on Friday August 7th, Magistrate Shageeth Somaratne ordered the Fiji Police to return the devices to Charters’ lawyer.
The devices had been seized a day after FICAC’s February 21st detention and arrest at Nadi Airport, and their subsequent charging of Charters, which was permanently stayed by the High Court on July 24th.