Ra High School has made history by sending its first-ever men’s netball team to the Crest Chicken Secondary School Championship, after a journey shaped by determination, sacrifice and strong community support.
Coach Aloisio Nakewa says seeing the team compete at the national level is a proud moment for the players, the school and the wider Ra community.
The man from Ra, who is in his second year coaching at the school, says the journey has not been easy, with the team facing challenges including fundraising for transport, uniforms and other equipment.
Nakewa says when the players first started training, they had to learn the basics of preparing themselves for competition, including having the right gear and understanding the demands of the sport.
He says the players’ commitment, willingness to learn and dedication during training helped them improve and qualify through the Western Rally.
In their first national appearance, Ra High School went down 14-7 to defending champions Yat Sen Secondary School.
Despite the result, Nakewa says the tournament is an important learning experience for the players as they continue to develop men’s netball at the school.
He says the team’s goal was to perform well, gain valuable experience and test themselves against some of the best school teams in the country.
Nakewa, who previously played for the Ra Netball Association men’s team, says being part of the national competition has also been a learning experience for him as a coach.
He says the support from families, friends and the Ra community has motivated the players as they represent their school for the first time.
For the young Ra High School players, this tournament is more than just a competition, it marks the beginning of a new chapter for men’s netball at the school.
The Crest Chicken Secondary School Championship will continue tomorrow, with the finals on Friday.
