Girl under State Care after assault by father
It is time to expose child abuse and to act on it - Tabuya

Girl under State Care after assault by father

It is time to expose child abuse and to act on it - Tabuya

By Mansi Chand , Alipate Narawa , Vijay Narayan
Thursday 08/02/2024
Minister for Women, Children and Social Protection, Lynda Tabuya

The 11-year-old girl who was badly beaten up by her father earlier this month, is now under State Emergency Care, where the Ministry of Women, Children and Social Protection will look after her as she does not feel safe at her own home.

After visiting the girl at the Children's Ward at the CWM Hospital, Minister, Lynda Tabuya confirmed that she was stable and recovering from her injuries.

Tabuya says after the trauma, the family members believe that she needs to be at a safe house, and requires proper counselling from a child psychologist.

She has reminded parents and guardians that this kind of behaviour is a crime and this must stop because five out of six children in Fiji face child abuse which is more than what women face.

Tabuya says due to the alarming statistics, they are working with UNICEF and other stakeholders to come up with a National Action Plan to prevent violence against children.

She is also challenging faith-based organisations, Vanua leaders and turaga ni koro to address this at the highest level possible because this behaviour will not be tolerated.

Tabuya is also urging guidance and relatives to speak up on these issues and overcome the culture of fear which is a crime under the Crime Act and if a child dies surrounded by adults who failed in their duties to take care of the child, they can be charged for manslaughter by negligence.

She adds that the child's mother was not at home when the incident occurred.

Tabuya says some people are judging her for posting the video however it is time to do so to let everyone know that this cannot be justified.

A video of the incident is being shared widely on social media while the father has been produced in court and is currently in remand.

The Online Safety Commission has called on people not to share the video as it would add to the trauma experienced by the young girl.

Meanwhile, the 43-year-old father has been charged with Assault Causing Actual Bodily Harm and has appeared in the Nausori Magistrates Court.

Police say the incident occurred on the 2nd of February, 2024.

They say the man, identified as Ratu Kinijoji Katonivere has been remanded and will be produced again in court on the 19th of this month for bail application.

Police say the video surfaced after he was remanded.

FEATURE NEWS
Police investigate video showing youths allegedly role playing and assaulting a young boy in the bushes, tying him up and burying him
A Police investigation is now underway in relation to a video circulating on social media showing a group of youths allegedly role playing and assault...
4 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Teen charged with murder over bus stop stabbing
A 16-year-old has been charged with murder after the stabbing two teenagers outside a school in Sydney’s west yesterday afternoon while police ...
4 hours ago

Italian fashion designer Roberto Cavalli has died aged 83
Italian fashion designer Roberto Cavalli, known for his animal prints on leather and textiles, has died aged 83. The fashion house that bears his ...
4 hours ago

Villagers of Vusama and Naveisabasaba bid farewell to water woes with New Water Mains Extension Project
Fetching water from contaminated wells and carting water on bullocks will be a thing of the past for the villagers of Vusama and Naveisabasaba in ...
4 hours ago

40 jobs created as Rups opens another triple story branch in Labasa
40 people now have a job as Rups Investments Limited has opened another triple story branch in Labasa Town. Manager Rajnesh Kumar Deo says a lot ...
6 hours ago

RFMF and Police personnel to assist in security during Solomon Islands election
A team from the Republic of Fiji Military Force and the Fiji Police Force will depart the country to assist in the Solomon Islands general ...
6 hours ago



fijivillage Straight Talk with Vijay Narayan
Latest Videos

Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
yb
IN DEPTH
Bainimarama and Qiliho's Acquittal Appeal
Coverage on the appeal filed by Acting Director of Public Prosecutions, John Rabuku against the acquittal of the former Prime Minister Voreqe ...
10 days ago

National Program Manager for Fiji 7s, Gareth Baber appears on fijivillage Straight Talk With Vijay Narayan
Gareth Baber appeared on fijivillage Straight Talk With Vijay Narayan to share his plans heading into the preparations for the upcoming tournaments ...
11 days ago

RFMF Commander Major General Ro Jone Kalouniwai appears on fijivillage Straight Talk
RFMF Commander Major General Ro Jone Kalouniwai sat down for a candid interview with CFL News Director, Vijay Narayan to talk about various issues ...
17 days ago

TOP