Fijivillage
NEWS SPORTS
23 October, 2020, 12:57 am Central - 21°C Clouds
ACCF
ACCF

Fiji Pine Limited declares $5 million bonus payment for landowners

Fiji Pine Limited declares $5 million bonus payment for landowners

By Dhanjay Deo
Thursday 24/09/2020
Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama today handed over $5 million in lease security bonus payment to landowners who lease their land to Fiji Pine Limited

Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama today handed over $5 million in lease security bonus payment to landowners who lease their land to Fiji Pine Limited.

Bainimarama says 2020 has proven to be the most challenging year the Fiji Pine Industry has ever seen.

He says sold timber demand dropped by 40 percent and the global wood chip market took a major dive in both volume and price and as a result the Drasa Sawmill had to be shut for full five weeks.

Bainimarama says even when production finally returned they were faced with immense market challenges.

He says there are about 25,000 pine landowners who rely on the industry through the land they lease and a number of these landowners come from far and rural areas whose local economies depend on their connections to rest of the country.

The Prime Minister says when there are so many thousands of families dependent directly on the continuity of the pine industry, Fiji Pine refused to give up even in the face of unprecedented adversity.

He says this is why the board and management of Fiji Pine Group took quick action putting together business continuity plans to ensure that the landowners and workers will not be affected from global crises.


Fiji Pine Limited has so far paid $24.1 million in lease security bonus payment.

Bainimarama says this is a remarkable return on landowners investment.

He says 30% of the bonus is paid through equal distribution mechanism while the remaining 70% is paid by way of income-generating and community building projects.

Bainimarama says this new approach allowed rapid injection of development funding projects among landowning communities.

Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
IN DEPTH
Autumn Nations Cup
Fiji Rugby CEO John O’Connor has highlighted that they have been asking for Fiji to have test matches against Tier One Nations and the inclusion of ...
2 days ago

Online Safety Commission
Majority of the complaints received by the Online Safety Commission last year dealt with defamatory ...
2 days ago

Rape trial of pastor Waisake Tulavu
Coverage of rape trial of Agape pastor Waisake Tulavu
16 days ago
FEATURE NEWS
Complaint filed against a teacher allegedly behind repeated fb posts to humiliate Qereqeretabua with references to porn and immorality
Minister for Education, Rosy Akbar has received a complaint by the National Federation Party Youth General Secretary that a teacher in Suva is alleged...
8 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Children in tourist areas are vulnerable to physical, emotional and sexual abuse - Koya
Minister for Tourism, Faiyaz Koya is calling on stakeholders in the tourism industry to extend the duty of care to our children, especially those in ...
9 hours ago

Two in custody for allegedly robbing a student in Samabula
Two men who allegedly threatened and robbed a female student in Samabula on Tuesday have been charged. The two have been charged with one count ...
10 hours ago

23 people have died so far from leptospirosis, dengue fever and typhoid
18 people have lost their lives due to leptospirosis, three have died from dengue fever while two people have died due to typhoid since January this ...
10 hours ago

Vodafone gives $5,000 each to 10 lucky winners
Vodafone has given away $50,000 to 10 lucky winners through their Fiji Day Fiji50 promotion. Each winner received $5,000 as they had text Fiji50 ...
12 hours ago

Ali shares her personal story dealing with domestic violence
Fiji Women’s Crisis Centre Coordinator Shamima Ali today shared her personal experience about domestic violence in her life as she spoke to Bank ...
12 hours ago

TOP