Sports Tennis

Rafael Nadal pulls out of US Open with a foot injury, will miss rest of 2021

Rafael Nadal pulls out of US Open with a foot injury, will miss rest of 2021
Rafael Nadal. [Image: The New York Times]

Rafael Nadal will miss the remainder of the 2021 season with a foot injury and will therefore take no part in this month's US Open -- the final tennis grand slam of the year.

The world No. 4 says he had been suffering much more than he should with a foot injury, adding that the decision to end his 2021 season was the way forward to recover and recover well.

The Spaniard, who has a record-equaling 20 grand slam titles to his name, announced in June that he wouldn't be taking part at Wimbledon and the Tokyo Olympics, saying he wanted to "prolong my career and continue to do what makes me happy."

Nadal's last outing on a tennis court was at the Citi Open in Washington DC earlier in August where he suffered a shock loss in the round of 16 to South Africa's Lloyd Harris.

His announcement comes just days after Roger Federer said he would also miss the US Open to undergo another knee surgery which will sideline him for many months.

CNN reports defending champion Dominic Thiem also pulled out of Flushing Meadows and will miss the remainder of the season citing a wrist injury.

This year's US Open is scheduled to start on August 30 and runs through September 12 in New York.

[Source: CNN]

FNRL

Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
Scoreboard
9:50PM
Storm vs Panthers
8:00PM
Raiders vs Broncos
10:00PM
Dolphins vs Eels
Full Time
Fiji 22–29 South Africa
8:00am
Ratu Navula College vs Queen Victoria School
9:05am
Marist Brothers High School vs Ratu Kadavulevu School
11:30am
Suva Grammar School vs Queen Victoria School
Kadavu vs Malolo
Navosa vs Ba
Lautoka vs Rewa
Full Time
Suva 24–32 Nadi
Full Time
Tailevu 50–05 Nadroga
Full Time
Kadavu 48–0 Rewa
3:10AM
Springboks vs All Blacks
5:00AM
Lions vs All Blacks