Sports Tennis

Naomi Osaka withdraws from French Open

Naomi Osaka withdraws from French Open
Naomi Osaka. [Image: NewYorkPost]

Women’s world number two tennis player Naomi Osaka is withdrawing from the French Open as a result of controversy over her refusal to speak to the media during the tournament.

Osaka says she was going to take some time away from court and when the time is right she would like to discuss ways that can make things better for the players, press and the fans.

On Sunday, a joint statement from Grand Slam organisers said Osaka could face expulsion from the tournament for refusing to speak to the media.

BBC reports that the 23-year-old said last week she would not do news conferences at Roland Garros to protect her mental health.

When Osaka announced her decision to avoid the press on Wednesday, she said expecting players to answer questions after a defeat amounted to "kicking a person while they're down".

FNRL

Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
LIVE SCORES
Man City vs Aston Villa 3:00AM
Brighton vs Man United 3:00AM
Fulham vs Newcastle 3:00AM
Bula FC 0–1 South Island United Full Time
Bula FC 0–2 Auckland FC Full Time
Bula FC 0–2 South Melbourne FC Full Time
Chiefs 32–36 Crusaders Full Time
Brumbies 21–14 Waratahs Full Time
Moana Pasifika vs Reds 4:35PM
Raiders 22–30 Dolphins Full Time
Bulldogs 30–20 Storm Full Time
Dragons vs Warriors 7:30PM
vs
Fiji vs USA 8:00PM
Fiji vs Australia 12:51AM