Germany's Oktoberfest Unlikely to Take Place This Year

Germany's Oktoberfest Unlikely to Take Place This Year

The annual Oktoberfest, the world’s largest beer festival, is unlikely to take place this year due to the coronavirus crisis.

The Oktoberfest attracts around six million visitors to Munich every year, with many travelling from abroad.

Revellers sit together on long communal tables to swig beer, eat sausages, pretzel or pork knuckle, and listen to oompah bands.

Bavarian premier Markus Soeder told journalists he was very skeptical whether this year’s festival - scheduled from Sept. 19 to Oct. 4 - could take place and said he would make a final decision with Mayor Dieter Reiter in the next two weeks.

The German government and regional state governors agreed on Wednesday to start relaxing some of the lockdown rules introduced last month to stem the spread of the coronavirus, but said big events would stay banned until Aug. 31.

Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
LIVE SCORES
Man City vs Aston Villa 3:00AM
Brighton vs Man United 3:00AM
Fulham vs Newcastle 3:00AM
Bula FC 0–1 South Island United Full Time
Bula FC 0–2 Auckland FC Full Time
Bula FC 0–2 South Melbourne FC Full Time
Chiefs 32–36 Crusaders Full Time
Brumbies 21–14 Waratahs Full Time
Moana Pasifika vs Reds 4:35PM
Raiders 22–30 Dolphins Full Time
Bulldogs 30–20 Storm Full Time
Dragons vs Warriors 7:30PM
vs
Fiji vs USA 8:00PM
Fiji vs Australia 12:51AM