News COVID-19

Funeral in Mulomulo Village Nadi had nearly 100 people in attendance, entire community on lockdown - Dr Fong

Funeral in Mulomulo Village Nadi had nearly 100 people in attendance, entire community on lockdown - Dr Fong
Permanent Secretary for Health Doctor James Fong

Permanent Secretary for Health, Doctor James Fong says in the course of contact tracing investigations, it’s been found that a funeral was held recently in Mulomulo Village, Nadi with nearly 100 people in attendance.

The entire community has since been locked down.

He says that reckless gathering could potentially result in another super-spreader event.

Doctor Fong says the rule is simple: only ten people are allowed to attend a funeral.

That applies before, during and after the funeral.

He says if we don’t respect those rules, we will sadly have more of our loved ones to bury due to the loss of life that can result from COVID-19.

Doctor Fong says the high number of cases confirmed signals a much larger proportion of cases in the community.

He says expect more days of high numbers of confirmed cases.

Doctor Fong says they sadly expect more hospitalisations as more severe cases of the disease develop but thanks to the massive step-up in the pace of the testing, we can continue to fight this virus in a targeted way, a way that allows Fijians to access essential services and allows the economy to function as normally and safely as possible.

Doctor Fong says Fiji is now testing at the highest rate in Oceania.

He says we have never been more equipped than today to confront an outbreak, and we should take faith in our constantly strengthening capacity against this invisible enemy but we know the front of this battle extends everywhere and to everyone.

Doctor Fong says this will ultimately be won by all of us through the decisions we all make every day.

He says we cannot wait for more record-breaking days of case numbers for all Fijians to take the health measures seriously.

Meanwhile 50,000 additional doses of the COVID-19 vaccine, AstraZeneca will be arriving into the country this week from Australia.

Doctor Fong says they have administered 206,658 first doses and 4,599 second doses nationwide so far.

From Monday to Friday, the Ministry administered 70,693 first doses and 482 second doses.

Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
Scoreboard
Full Time
Storm 14–22 Panthers
Full Time
Raiders 30–34 Broncos
Full Time
Dolphins 34–16 Eels
Full Time
Fiji 22–29 South Africa
Full Time
Ratu Navula College 22–17 Queen Victoria School
Full Time
Marist Brothers High School 15–17 Ratu Kadavulevu School
Full Time
Suva Grammar School 40–12 Queen Victoria School
Full Time - SENIOR
Nadi 19–19 Tailevu
Full Time
Suva 26–29 Naitasiri
Full Time
Kadavu 14–18 Malolo
Full Time
Suva 24–32 Nadi
Full Time
Tailevu 50–05 Nadroga
Full Time
Kadavu 48–0 Rewa
3:10AM
Springboks vs All Blacks
5:00AM
Lions vs All Blacks