90-year-old man dies from COVID-19, 5 hospital admissions and 43 new cases recorded

90-year-old man dies from COVID-19, 5 hospital admissions and 43 new cases recorded
[Photo: File]

A 90-year-old male from Labasa has died from COVID-19 while 43 new cases have also been recorded in the country since last Friday.

The Ministry of Health says he developed respiratory symptoms on Friday last week and had received 2 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine.

They say 5 people are currently admitted for COVID in hospitals around the country.

The Ministry says they will continue to focus on implementing COVID safe measures around those vulnerable to the severe effects of COVID-19 and this includes escalating measures in hospitals, old people’s homes and facilities catering to disabled persons.

The Ministry says they will escalate screening protocols and masking for staff, patients, and visitors.

The also say visitor restrictions will be in place.

The Ministry further says with currently available data, the symptoms are similar to the prior strains with no evidence of more severe infection.

They say recent mutations of COVID-19 have led to less severe disease because the virus must give up something, in this case, its ability to harm, to survive.

Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
LIVE SCORES
Man City vs Aston Villa 3:00AM
Brighton vs Man United 3:00AM
Fulham vs Newcastle 3:00AM
Bula FC 0–1 South Island United Full Time
Bula FC 0–2 Auckland FC Full Time
Bula FC 0–2 South Melbourne FC Full Time
Chiefs vs Crusaders 7:05PM
Brumbies vs Waratahs 9:35PM
Moana Pasifika vs Reds 4:35PM
Raiders 22–30 Dolphins Full Time
Bulldogs vs Storm 10:00PM
Dragons vs Warriors 7:30PM
vs
Fiji vs USA 8:00PM
Fiji vs Australia 12:51AM