100,000 passports to be issued – Tikoduadua

100,000 passports to be issued – Tikoduadua

By Iliana Biutu , Rashika Kumar
Wednesday 10/07/2024
Source : Parliament of the Republic of Fiji

The total number of passports to be issued is about 100,000 and there has been a significant increase in passports needed and currently, there are 40,000 passports.

This has been highlighted by Minister for Home Affairs and Immigration, Pio Tikoduadua who says this number is expected to increase to 100,000 next year.

While responding to Opposition MP Premila Kumar on the increase in the budget for the Department of Immigration during the 2024-2025 National Budget debate, Tikoduadua says there has been a $2.5 million increase in the passport budget allocation.

He explained the reasons for the increase in passport allocation on why $4 million is allocated for the next budget compared to the $1.5 million allocation in the current budget.

Tikoduadua says for e-passports, the blank books are provided under a five-year contract with a contractor in Germany and the initial delivery comprises 40 percent of the total order, amounting to 707,329 books, and the remaining 60 percent upon delivery, totalling one million dollars.

He says the overall cost for this contract is $2 million.

Tikoduadua also highlighted that the shipment costs amount to two million dollars and service support costs approximately 69,850 euros.

The Minister for Immigration says the annual contract for the company's services and support for the next year will cost around $200,000.

Tikoduadua says the cost for the passport printer and the enrollment kits for the new financial year is $1.3 million, while disaster recovery support is budgeted at $3.5 million.

He added that in the event of a system failure or a cyber-attack that disrupts passport printing, the allocated funds will be used for data recovery.

FEATURE NEWS
AIDS related deaths increase from 49 in 2022 to 82 in 2023
The issue of HIV/AIDS continues to rise as shocking statistics revealed by the UNDP, highlighted the increase of AIDS related deaths with 49 in 2022 a...
9 hours ago
LATEST NEWS
Professor Baba was revolutionary, not only in education but in politics and public life - Prof. Shameem
The late Professor Tupeni Baba was a giant of an intellect and this is what made him stand out among the academics not only in Fiji and the Pacific ...
5 hours ago

MOE exploring the use of test-kits in school - Radrodro
Minister for Education Aseri Radrodro says the Ministry is exploring some initiatives, such as having drug test kits in schools to counter the ...
9 hours ago

22,800 MSME's are paying about $59m taxes annually - FRCS CEO
There are about 117,000 Micro, Small and Medium businesses in Fiji out of which around 22,800 businesses are paying taxes amounting to around $59 ...
9 hours ago

Upgraded farm Road in Natawa village will boost agricultural efficiency
Farmers and residents of Natawa Village in Vaturu, located in the highlands of Ba, are set to benefit from the recent upgrade of their farm road that ...
11 hours ago

Upgraded farm Road in Natawa village will boost agricultural efficiency
Farmers and residents of Natawa Village in Vaturu, located in the highlands of Ba, are set to benefit from the recent upgrade of their farm road that ...
12 hours ago



fijivillage Straight Talk with Vijay Narayan
Latest Videos

Stay tuned for the latest news on our radio stations

CFL radio frequencies
yb
IN DEPTH
2024-2025 National Budget address by the Minister for Finance
2024-2025 National Budget address by the Minister for Finance Prof. Biman Prasad. 2024-2025 Budget ...
12 days ago

Crisis within FijiFirst that led to its deregistration
The FijiFirst Party has been de-registered by the Registrar of Political Parties, Ana Mataiciwa. This is the end of the party that led government ...
16 days ago

Pre-Budget 2024-2025
Pre Budget 2024-2025 budget recommendations and an insight of what people on the ground wish to see in the National Budget
22 days ago

TOP